Monday, January 14, 2008

It is entirely possible that the television series star trek Voyager changed the entire 2008 presidential campaign. I'm serious. Read on.

In 1997, the lovely actress Jeri Ryan was cast to play Seven of Nine, a former Borg Drone, on Voyager. The series' ratings were sagging, and her lovely figure immediately pushed up the show's ratings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ryan

In 1990, Jeri Ryan married investment banker Jack Ryan. The frequent separations throughout their marriage contributed to their divorce in 1999. The court records were sealed, but came out later.

In 2004, Jack Ryan won the Republican nomination to run for the US Senate. Although he was not the favorite, he had a real shot to win the election. Eventually some of the (barely) sordid details of Jack and Jeri Ryan's marriage came out, and he was forced to drop out of the Senate race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ryan_%28Senate_candidate%29

The GOP ended up running a badly out of the mainstream showy conservative named Alan Keyes, who lost very very badly. The winner of that election was Barrack Obama. It is entirely conceivable that Ryan would have given him a run for his money, or even won. Imagine how the dynamic of this race would have been had Obama not entered the race...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Danny, I didn't even know you watched Star Trek.
so, should Obama end all speeches with "live long and prosper" or "resistance is futile" :0)

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely a trekkie Bryan. Never been to a convention or anything, but I've surely seen every episode and all of the movies. So much fascinating social commentary wrapped up in an interesting sci-fi world.

As for Obama's speeches-- well, I can't improve on what you said.
:-)

Anonymous said...

well, then you'll be happy to know a new Trek movie is coming out this Christmas. The story goes back to the origins of Capt. Kirk. Nimoy has a role, but not Shatner. No Next Gen, Borg, etc.

Anonymous said...

remember in 2001 Jeri was under a death threat?
I went to the star trek convention in Aug. of 2001 to bring Jeri some gifts.
As I approached her with the big box I was surprised her security guard [who was glaring at me] didn't search it.
I later told the people at Fox network about the incident and she was placed under stricter security.
Now that the revelations about Jack have come to the surface I do wonder,
if she had been killed and Jack were the sole parent
would that have stopped the court from opening those divorce records that were sealed to protect their son?

Anonymous said...

No, I wasn't aware about the threats to Jeri Ryan. Interesting story there anonymus.

Anonymous said...

so what gifts did you bring her, or was the big box hiding your "gift" ;0)
sorry, I know its a political blog, but I couldn't help myself