Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I sent my aforementioned friend Andrew, the one so instrumental in my thinking on so many issues, an e-mail bragging about how right I was that McCain would win the GOP nomination. Given my record of getting the last 2 presidential elections, and other races, quite spectacularly wrong, he asked what I would do if I was wrong. As he put it, certainty should have a price. And he was quite right.

Here's what I told him in response:

Assuming McCain's health does not change dramatically (assassination god forbid, heart attack), if he is not the nominee, I will do the following (with Andrew agreeing to do nothing in return except profusely give me my props when McCain wins):

1) I will buy Andrew a nice lunch/dinner the next time he's in the Empire State; AND

2) I will purchase Romney (or the eventual GOP nominee's) t-shirts and buttons and wear them, conspicuously, among my friends, at Central Park, and the like; AND

3) Purchase a Red Sox cap and wear it to at least one Yankee game, preferably a Yankee-Red Sox game.

I'm on record here, and putting a little money and a considerable amount of pride on the line. I'm not merely predicting McCain to win the nomination, I'm quite damn sure of it, and putting myself out there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There should be some sort of expression about "putting a Red Sox cap where your mouth is"

McCain is the clear favorite right now for the nomination, but it ain't over yet. It's also worth remembering that McCain is the 4th or 5th "new" frontrunner for the nomination since 2005 - including McCain before his campaign imploded not long ago.

The Republicans are in serious disarray in all sorts of ways, and I still expect some surprises to come.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

My slate for 2008

President Pat Buchanan

Vice Pres Ron Paul

Sec Defense Ann Coulter

Sec State Sean Hannity

What do you all think, ??

Anonymous said...

boy, this post is really making ruining my morning. First, Red Sox, and then Pat Buchanan.

See my other post on Buchanan and how I think he's awful. BUT, the good side of that ticket is it would draw off many republican votes from McCain, leaving an easy path to the presidency for any dem. If you mean that ticket instead of McCain, still a walkover for the dems. I'd love to see that ticket because it would take such a beating. Congratulations on configuring a ticket that would make americans wish GW could have a third term.

Anonymous said...

Bryan,
Perhaps Ron Paul for Pres, he favors

Abolish IRS

US out of NATO and UN

He is wrong however on retreat on Iraq

Anonymous said...

I haven't paid too much attention to Ron Paul because he has no chance of winning. As for Iraq, I don't know what is the right answer at this point. It's a screwed up situation that we shouldn't be in in the first place (thanks George). I don't know what, if anything, can fix it. I don't think pulling out will make things better. But I don't think long term occupation works either. I only wish they had finished the job in Afghanistan.