Sunday, March 21, 2010

Health care will pass tonight

By all press accounts, the suspense is gone.  Nancy has the votes, with several to spare.  The vote on the rules by which debate will proceed, which is an excellent indicator of how the final vote will go, has just been concluded, and it has passed by 224-206, thus with 8 votes to spare.  No republican votes. 

This may well be the exact number that votes for the health care bill in two hours.  I don't know for sure.  In any event, the deed is done, and health care reform will certainly pass in just a few short hours.  WOW.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just stumbled upon your blog. :-) IT PASSED 219 to 212 votes!!! but I hear that some state officials are already ready to file a lawsuit against it. From what I hear, they say it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Mikhail Silverwood said...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1030457/us-congress-passes-health-care-reform

"As the bill cleared the magic 216-vote threshhold, Democrats erupted in applause and cheering."

Daniel N said...

Hello lovely Officially and Mikhail. I know that there is talk of challenging the law's constitutionality, particularly the mandate that people buy health insurance. The Supreme Court will be HUGELY reluctant to declare the law unconstitutional (I'm a lawyer) because it would put the Supremes squarely in the spotlight, which they usually try and avoid. On the other hand, a colorable argument can be made. Still, I just can't see it. I'll have to read up about it and put up a blog post about it. I posted, talking about my views about its passage. Read it!

Mikhail Silverwood said...

Give me a URL and I'll read whatever you wish to be read.