Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Obama supposedly to announce his VP tomorrow.

So says the Times.

www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/us/politics/19veep.htm

Since you all want to know who this will be, I'll tell you. I don't know. My best guess is Evan Bayh of Indiana. He's experienced, he's dull, he's safe, he's from a key swing region (the Midwest), and will absolutely definitely help in his (stunning) swing state of Indiana, a traditionally very Red state that polls about even this year.

His father, Birch Bayh, was a Senator from Indiana, and a presidential candidate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_Bayh

Evan Bayh is very well known and liked in Indiana. The geographically astute will note that Inidiana borders Ohio, a small obscure state that plays little role in American elections. I have no idea, but there is always some neighboring state spillover, particularly when tv markets are shared. I would assume Bayh is also a pretty known commodity in neighboring Ohio. With Ohio's 20 electoral votes the hottest game in town, this is also a factor.

Stay tuned for my reaction to his actual choice, and where the campaign goes from here.

6 comments:

Bryan said...

Really, I didn't think Bayh was the frontrunner for the position. What you say makes sense. He was a Hilary supporter, so I've read about talk that Bayh would help unify the party. Plus Bayh is a member of the Armed Services Committee and the Select Intelligence Committee. Always good to add the foreign policy and defense credentials. Of course, that's why a lot of the papers are pointing to Biden as the choice. But I think choosing Biden would emphasize Obama's "youth" too much. Another popular choice is Tim Kaine, who is a buddy of Obama and would help with the swing state of VA. He might also pay dividends in the south, and he's an outside the beltline guy. His father-in-law is a prominent VA republican, but would be for Obama, which would help as far as showing bipartisan support. Otherwise, there is Hilary and Sebelius. I'd be shocked if Hilary were the choice at this point, and Sebelius has little buzz about her.
In the end, I think I like Kaine first, followed by Bayh, but ok with either. I think I would've liked Bill Richardson even better.
What do you think Larry in CA? Ann Coulter?

Larry in Calif. said...

Yesssssssssssss,

Pat Buchanan for Pres
Fred Thompson for VP
Sean Hannity for Sec State
Ann Coulter for Sec Defense

Yessssssssssssssssssssss

Bryan said...

Biden apparently told reporters that he was "not the guy." Per MSNBC.com. So that narrows the field a bit, as long as he was telling the truth.

And Larry, cmon, you need new material.

Anonymous said...

Not Bayh either, as of Friday night the 22nd.

Justin

Bryan said...

surprise, surprise, a politician was not telling the truth, playing games, etc. It's Biden afterall. What do you think oh Blogmaster? On what hand, Biden fills in the experience gap. On the other hand, he further highlights the experience gap. McCain has also been using Biden soundbites from the primaries where Biden ripped on Obama's inexperience. I think I would've preferred Kaine. I really would've liked Webb.

Bryan said...

but I will say that Biden is probably the most qualified guy Obame could've picked.