Wednesday, March 03, 2010

I was right about the coming United States economic recovery. Its here, its real, and its effects have already begun to be felt in the labor market. The current statistics are (slightly) wrong, will be very misleading for February, when the jobs report comes out this Friday, the 5th, but beginning with the VERY NEXT report, due out on April 2, the job growth I have long been predicting (and virtually promising) will be here. Give me 5 more weeks, and then you may judge

While my timing was very slightly off (I had predicted job growth would begin in November, later revised to "by February,") I was, I think, very right in my overall predictions. The economy will add jobs this month (when the figures are reported in early April). North of 125,000. This will herald a long period of time in which the economy is growing, steadily, but not in a boom (say 2.8-4%), and in which we are adding jobs at a rate of circa 200,000 per month. The national unemployment rate, currently 9.7%, will most likely stay between 9.4 and 9.8 % for the next 3-6 months and then begin a long, steady, inexorable drop until it is around 7.4% or so when Obama wins a 41 state reelection landslide in November 2012 running on a strongly recovering economy, which was facing a possible depression when he took office. (See my post of December 20, 2009).The real credit will go to the huge and very creative approach to stimulating the economy taken by Time's 2009 Person of the Year, Ben Bernanke, (likely destined to go own in history as the most successful Fed Chairman of them all for his deft handling of the great financial crisis of 2008-2009), the monster bailouts put through by Paulson (Bush's guy) and Geithner at Treasury, the much loathed TARP rescue of the huge banks (which I always strongly supported) and the stimulus package passed in February 2009, with virtually no Republican vote


Many books will be written about the period of bailout, from late 2008-early 2009, and how they saved the US economy. I think I have outlined these books in various posts, including this one.

Back to the economy.


There have been recent signs of economic weakness which were somewhat surprising. I don't deny this. Nevertheless, I have the courage of my convictions of the above predictions. I know I was a little early in predicting job growth last year, (so sue me!) but it is now here, and in the next several months it will be clear to all.


On Friday the government will report that a lot of jobs were lost in February, probably more than 150,000, a bad number in line with the number of job losses late last year, and not at all in line with my relatively rosy predictions repeated above. But this won't in fact be true. Instead, the awful snowstorms on the eastern seaboard and in the south will have skewed the numbers, particularly in the construction sector. A lot of people will have been furloughed as a result of the bad weather, and thus show up in the statistics as having lost their jobs. Now that March is here and the weather will VERY likely improve sharply, many of these workers will be rehired. When coupled with hiring in the service sector, the beleaguered manufacturing sector (!) and Census workers, the result will be a solid, steady job growth, beginning THIS MONTH, and accelerating in the coming months.

Here is an article neatly summarizing what his going on now-- which is in essence what I predicted months ago would happen in January/February.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/03/news/economy/job_cuts/index.htm


This article states that, "private sector employers cut 20,000 jobs in February, the fewest since February 2008, when employment first began to decline." In short, businesses have cut pretty much all the workers they are going to cut as a result of the economic downturn. Home builders realized long ago that they were in a depression (that sector). Large manufacturers have done their cutting and, amazingly, are now ADDING jobs. Ditto the service sector, which was hammered by a monster slowdown in demand for their services in late 2008. That demand is creeping up, slowly, but up, forcing service sector businesses to expand the hours their current employees are working, and to hire new ones, often on a temporary basis, while the business leaders wait and see how demand for their services go.

Another factor which will spur job growth this year is if the logjam breaks in DC over health care (and other issues). Now I don't know if bills will be passed and signed into law, but I do know that by the Summer bills will EITHER pass or be deemed dead until next year. This will provide increased certainty regarding costs of new employees, which will help decision makers decide to add workers. Its not a huge thing in my opinion, but it will register.

The upshot? My predictions were right, I am reaffirming them, and in early April, when the jobs report for March comes out, you'll all see that I was right.


I know I said I'd donate $100 to Sarah Palin if we didn't have a month of 75,000 job growth by February 2010. That will not come to pass in the official numbers, but I think they are wrong, and there is evidence in the unemployment survey to support my view. Look, I am paying off under the spirit of my promise, not the letter. If we still haven't gained significant jobs by April of this year, I'll pay off. Give me a few months to go through coming data and see if I may have in fact been right but for the February snowstorms. If not, I'll pay up.

6 comments:

A Whig said...

Well, the unemployment numbers are now only preliminary, they will eventually adjust them either up or down, but I'm not sure they'll reach a net gain of 75,000 or not, but we'll see. It does seem to definitely be turning around, I would hope that as soon as this health care bill is out of the way, the Congress will focus on job creation, I think for the Democrats, it's going to be politically necessary to make more progress on that front before November.

Anonymous said...

From Larry in California

Bah Humbug, blog McDonald V. Chicago

Daniel N said...

A Whig, Chris, welcome!

Whig, you are right that they employment #s are preliminary, but 75,000 is nothing, a very low total (just seems high, and its a lot higher than NEGATIVE 75,000!). You're probably right that its politically necessary for the donkeys to focus on job creation, but economically speaking it matters barely a whit. If they get health care through that would be so huge! I'd live with huge losses if you offered me health care and a strong financial services reform bill this year.

Daniel N said...

Today's jobs report is STRONG confirmation that I have been right (if a bit premature). March's jobs report will be a blockbuster, at least 200,000 jobs created, maybe 300,000. This won't be real, either, as it will be in part a snapback from the February snow impact, and part census workers, but it sure will shake things up a bit.

In addition, for the second straight month, the household survey showed strong job growth (over 300,000 new jobs). The payroll survey, which reported a narrow job loss is widely considered more reliable, but at economic turning points I have my doubts as to which is more reliable. It may be that the economy has created jobs already. Either way, it will be crystal clear as of early April that the job market is recovering.

Anonymous said...

From Larry in California



Will you blog McDonald V. Chicago

Bryan said...

I'll let you argue numbers all you want. But in "the field," I don't see much economic recovery yet. Here in NC, tax revenue is still way behind projections, which could lead to layoffs/furloughs for us state employees. I have a friend who works for a construction type company, and she is about to get laid off unless they get a job to do. And to provide another point of view, my uncle, who works in finance in California (he tries to get start ups capitalized), says this:

"As far as the job hunt. The 'green shoots' that Obama is talking about are the ones he is smoking. There are still six unemployed people for each open job. With bank, credit card, venture capital and angel credit/investment capital still frozen, it is still very difficult for companies to start operations and create new jobs. Consumer purchasing demand is still subdued and overtime work is limited. The net effect of all this is that there is no reason to add workers. This is not pessimism. It is just a snapshot of where we are."

So, I'll just give you a big "we'll see," because I'm not seeing much improvement in the economy yet.

Bryan